OLYMPIC DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
Welcome to the District II Olympic Development Program (ODP) page. Click on the links below to take you to your area of interest. If you don't find what you are looking for, please contact the ODP Coordinator.
District II ODP Coordinator
Table of Content
How are players selected for ODP?
What is the Olympic Development Program (ODP) ?
Initially created in 1977 as the US Youth Soccer Select Team Program, the US Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program (ODP) was formed:
- To identify a pool of players in each age group from which a national team could be selected for international competition;
- to provide high-level training to benefit and enhance the development of players at all levels;
- and, through the use of carefully selected and licensed coaches, to develop a mechanism for the exchange of ideas and curriculums to improve all levels of coaching
Initially only for boys, an ODP for girls was added in 1985.
What are the Benefits of Participating in ODP ?
- Development as a player via training and playing with the best coaches in your own age group
- Quality instruction from nationally licensed coaches
- Quality competition through games against other state association ODP, Regional and National teams, and international teams
- Exposure to National and Regional team coaches
- The opportunity to represent one’s state, region or country in competition
- High-level exposure to college coaches
- The opportunity to compete for Regional and National Championships
- The chance to see the world. US Youth Regional ODP teams have travelled to any number of places, both domestically and internationally. Florida, Las Vegas, San Diego, France, England, Costa Rica, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Argentina and the Netherlands have all previously been destinations for Regional ODP teams.
ODP Scholarship Program
District II ODP Scholarship Program - 2013
- All players from a District II team playing in a Cal North League in FALL 2012 qualify for full expense reimbursement for all State and Region ODP trips beginning in September 2012 and ending August 31, 2013.
- All players from a District II team playing in a Cal North league only in SPRING 2013 qualify for full expense reimbursement beginning April 1, 2012 to August 31, 2013.
- The primary team of the player must be playing in a Cal North playing league as their primary league for the given season to qualify.
Responsibilities of Parents and Players in ODP
Responsibilities of Players participating at the CYSA State level and above:
- Devotion to the game – This level is typically represented by players who have selected soccer as their sole competitive activity.
- Time Commitment – Players are expected to attend all training sessions and games. Any absences must be documented and approved by the state coach or the CYSA State Program Coordinator, Joyce Bordley.
- Communication – PLAYERS, not parents, are expected to communicate with age group coaches and ODP administration.
- Pay Attention – Please pay particular attention to ALL deadlines and instructions for various activities. Adherence to these dates is key to reducing hassle and costs.
Responsibilities of Parents:
- CYSA asks that you be sensitive to the pressure that most plaeyrs feel when participating in these events.
- Your POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT toward all players, at all levels of state team functions is appreciated.
- Please limit your contact with coaches/selectors during these events.
- CYSA appreciates the time and commitment parents make on behalf of the players.
ODP State Tryouts
Cal North State ODP Tryout Information
ALL INFORMATION AND UPDATES
REGARDING STATE TRYOUTS WILL BE POSTED ON THE CAL NORTH STATE ODP WEB PAGE.
Inquiries regarding tryouts can be directed to the Cal North ODP Coordinator, Joyce Bordley. Email: email@example.com